NBC is planning to air an episode entitled “Deathtrap” which is a realistic depiction of the Oakland warehouse fire that took place just 3 months ago. That fire trapped and killed 36 people and injured 2 more. The community and the survivors and their friends and families are still reeling from this devastating loss!
The synopsis of “Deathtrap” makes it clear that NBC is re-enacting the Oakland warehouse fire in a Chicago setting. The casting call makes explicit reference to “Ghost Ship” and the requirement for actors to re-enact the experience of being trapped in a blazing warehouse. How did this disgusting and crass story get green-lighted? Have the executives at NBC lost their minds?
Call to Action
- Social media warriors, drive to ZERO the viewership for this indecent episode.
- Corporate sponsors, withdraw your advertising dollars from this repugnant programming.
- Dick Wolf, super-star producer, admit that this idea was a crass mistake, and acknowledge the lesson learned: We value life when we respect the dead.
Links to more information on this issue
- Detailed investigation of the fire: http://www.sfchronicle.com/oakland-fire/
- Biographies of the victims: http://projects.sfchronicle.com/2016/oakland-fire-victims/
- Another look at victims’ profiles: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Profiles-of-those-who-died-in-huge-warehouse-fire-10691083.php
- Chicago Fire, Episode 5.15, “Deathtrap,” promotional photos and press release: http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/02/chicago-fire-episode-515-deathtrap.html
- Ripped-from-the-headlines plot is a crass move: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/23/ghost-ship-fire-inspires-nbc-drama-a-really-crass-move/
- File under gross things that TV executives do: http://sfist.com/2017/02/23/ugh_nbcs_chicago_fire_shooting_epis.php
- Tell NBC to get ready for social media warfare! http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview
- Super-Producer Dick Wolf is joined by Matt Olmstead, Danielle Gelber, Michael Brandt, Derek Haas, Peter Jankowski, and Joe Chappelle. Light them up! http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/the-peacock-picks-up-grimm-chicago-fire-and-chicago-p-d
“We value life when we respect the dead.”