Today begins National Suicide Awareness Week. Did you know that in many cases suicide is preventable? Suicides are preventable when we make the intention to respond versus react.
Where your thoughts go, energy flows.
In today’s current mood it feels like everyone and everything is about to erupt like a pent-up volcano. Fearful thoughts come unbidden. Emotions react. Energy flows. Where are your thoughts, emotions, and energy flowing?
It can be confusing. People wonder, how can joy and sadness happen at the same time? Am I doing this emotional ‘stuff’ right? How can I go from a triggered ‘Lizard Brain’ of fear to peaceful Wellbeing within?
From fear to peace
Here is a sequence you can learn for self-care and that could prevent some suicides: Freedom-Confusion-Trust
- Begin with this mindset: emotions are energy in motion; living in the body. Emotions are nothing to be afraid of.
- Recognize that when you allow yourself to feel the emotions in your body, you are granting yourself freedom. Freedom to simply be human. Freedom to accept the confusion of not knowing where the emotions came from. Ilana Rubenfeld used to call confusion the Fertile Void. That place of richness where the new could come through. Trust that the confusion will not last forever.
- Acknowledge and feel the emotion in your body. Name it if possible. I feel _____________.
- Then allow your awareness to travel to the front of your brain. Look around you and recognize that 99.99% of the time you are safe.
- Breathe in. (Deep inhale.) Breathe out. (Cleansing exhale.) Let go of any self-judgment.
- Shake off any tension in your body like a dog drying itself.
- Return to the Wellbeing within.
Again, suicide is often preventable.
How does the process above prevent suicide?
When enough of us make the intention to respond versus react there is an energetic shift, a collective sigh of relief.
Get more insight into this process by watching an interview I did with Mary Petschen: The 3 Steppingstones to Expect.
With focused intention, education, and action we can again see suicides again decline as in 2019. It took a concerted effort by the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention and organizations like the American Association of Suicidology.
Please join me this Wednesday on AMNW/KPTV as Helen Raptis and I literally rap about the warning signs of suicide.
Then on Friday let’s meet for a star-studded day of entertainment and education. Join us 9/10/21 on Facebook Live for World Suicide Prevention Awareness Day.
Love all around, above, below, to the left and to the right, before you and behind you,
If you’re struggling with the emotional process of grief...
I want to share a free gift with you that can help you recognize the physical, cognitive and emotional reactions you may be experiencing. You’ll also take away prompts to use daily along your journey.
Click the button below to get started!